Image Map

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010 - Nutty Green Beans

Let’s keep this one simple! What else do you need for thanksgiving dinner? Sides! A friend of mine posted, just today, how she hates thanksgiving food. Can you believe it? But some things I have to agree with her about. Green bean casserole? I have never had this side dish in all my years of celebrating thanksgiving. And thanksgiving was well celebrated when I was little.


All of my aunts and uncles (my dad’s siblings to be exact), and all of my cousins, would gather in the tiny house with my tiny gram and eat lots of food. Everyone would bring something to share. My Aunt Nancy would bring squash, grown from her own garden. My mom and I would spend the morning making a very fancy jell-o dessert (it’s awesome, I’ll share some day). My Uncle Mike would bring a big pasta dish, full of cheese and deliciousness. Tiny Gram and Aunt Aileen would spend the day roasting the turkey. And some lamb. Gram didn’t like turkey.


Yet no one thought to bring a green bean casserole. I’ve seen the French’s commercials around this time of year but I had to google it to find out exactly what it entailed. And Jolene, I have to agree. Cream of mushroom soup with green beans and cheddar French fried onions? I cannot think of anything else you could do to lovely green beans to make them less healthy! Maybe mix in some cheese? So toss the fried onions and condensed soup. Get ready for some real flavor and all for only 45 calories a serving!


Nutty Green Beans

I saved a few minutes today by using Steamfresh green beans. If you are in the mood, and there are some good looking ones at the store this week, feel free to use fresh green beans. Just trim the ends and cook them in salted boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain off water before adding to sauté pan.

1 package Steamfresh green beans (Or 1 lb fresh)
2 tsp butter
2 tbsp walnuts, finely chopped
½ tsp salt
Freshly grated nutmeg

In a wide sauté pan melt butter over medium-high heat. Add walnuts and cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring. Add beans, salt and nutmeg. Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Very easy and a great alternative to creamy green bean casserole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit these look good, but I love green been casserole in all its unhealthy glory :)

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails