Image Map

Friday, April 8, 2011

Banana Mallow Cups


In the words of Rachel Zoe, these mallow cups are totally bananas. I mean, I die.


I’ve been having a ball making candies this year during my Candy Challenge. Originally I started off with simple things, taffy, truffles, marshmallows. After several successful batches of candy I’ve gotten the confidence to try more and more complicated things. These mallow cups are pretty complicated, but worth the time you put into them.


The original mallow cup is something that I don’t see everywhere. It’s a milk chocolate cup, filled with creamy marshmallow and a slightly crunchy top. I’m not really sure what that crunchy top comes from, but it’s delicious. When I decided to take on the mallow cup I wanted to do something a little different, hence the bananas!

I brought these bad boys into work and put them in our break room without a note. Before I could send out an e-mail, a good portion of them were already gone and my coworkers were confused. “What was in those chocolate things?” They asked me. My answer? “Bananas! Or Bananas and peanut butter.” I had decided to take half of the batch and fill them with banana fluff and creamy peanut butter, but I neglected to label them differently. Two coworkers, who got two different fillings, were arguing about what was in the cups. Both of them were right.


Either way, these mallow cups were bananas. In such a good way! Whether you decide to keep them simple and fill them with just banana fluff, or you take a hint from Elvis and add in some peanut butter, they won’t last long. Personally, I ate at least a quarter of the batch.

Banana Mallow Cups

These mallow cups take a little bit of time to put together.  You can split up the work into two days by making the fluff first, then making the cups the next day.  Your freezer will be your friend by helping set the chocolate fast.  For the banana fluff you'll need banana nectar.  You can find this at most well-stocked grocery stores, I actually found mine at a tiny local grocery store. 

Banana fluff



¼ cup banana nectar (I used Looza brand nectar)
6 ounces marshmallow syrup (or invert syrup)
¾ cup sugar
2 egg whites
Pinch of salt
¾ cup mashed bananas

Puree mashed bananas, in a food processor, until completely smooth. Set puree aside.

Combine banana nectar, marshmallow syrup and sugar in a medium stock pot. Heat to medium and whisk until sugar dissolves. Use a wet pastry brush to wash any sugar crystals from the sides of the pot. Clip on candy thermometer and cook to 260.

When the temperature of the sugar reaches 240 degrees, start whipping egg whites and salt. The eggs should be at soft peak by the time the sugar reaches 260 degrees. Take the sugar off the heat and allow to cool for 3 minutes.

Slowly add sugar syrup to the egg whites, whipping the entire time. Whip the fluff mixture for 5 minutes. Add banana puree one tablespoon at a time. Once it is all added, continue whipping for 3 more minutes. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Mallow Cups

24 mini-cupcake liners
14 ounces chocolate candy melts
¼ cup peanut butter, optional

1. Melt half of the chocolates in the top of a double boiler, add remaining chocolates and stir until melted. Temperature of the chocolates should be about 90 degrees.

2. Working one at a time, add 1 teaspoon of chocolate to the cupcake liner. Use the measuring spoon to coat the entire inside of the liner. Stick these in the fridge to set up, about 15 minutes.


3. If using, soften peanut butter in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add about ½ teaspoon of peanut butter to each chocolate cup.


4. Add enough banana fluff to fill the chocolate cup. Don’t over fill, you want it just below the top. I used a zip top bag with a corner cut off to fill the cups.


5. Using the remaining chocolate to cover the banana fluff, coating all of the way to the edges. Place in the fridge again to set the chocolate. Lots of work, but you’re done! Eat a couple!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails