Image Map

Friday, May 20, 2011

Key Lime Mallowpuffs

Yesterday was one of those days.  You know what I'm talking about, right?  Day starts and it's so humid that you can't tame your hair to look like something other than a wild animal.  Your walk to work is punctuated with drops of rain and gusts of wind.  Finally arriving at work you realize that you have to start your day with the thing you hate the most, running a column (insert your least favorite task in place of "running a column").


I don't know if it was the rain or my crazy person hair or my dislike of running columns, but the day just wasn't happening for me.  I also blame the book that I've been reading.  I keep getting sucked in and wind up going to sleep at midnight each night.  A totally normal time, except when you wake up at six every morning.  So tired...

I drudged through my day, things getting better, then worse, until finally it was time to go home!  A mere fourteen hours after I had entered the building.  I blame that last hour on the NMR, it just wouldn't tune.  Appartently that was my fault because I forgot a step while changing the probe.  (Sounds sciencey and fun, right?)  I'll have to remember next time I do that, don't wear hair pins while changing the probe.  Why?  The NMR is a 500 mHz magnet, and it tries to eat hair pins, ie, pull them out of your hair.  It's a very strange sensation.


Even though my day was kind of a bummer, at least I had these cookies to help me through.  Originally I was asked to make Griffins Mallowpuffs.  If you are a native New Zealander (like the person who made the request) you'll know just what I'm talking about.  If you're from the northeast, then you know them as Mallomars.  Unfortunately, Nabisco only makes mallomars in the fall as they tend to melt in the summertime.  Instead of sticking with the traditional vanilla marshmallow on vanilla cookie (like a mallowpuff), I decided to continue my key lime trend and make a Key lime pie Mallowpuff!  Make these and your day will be a little brighter!

Key Lime Mallowpuffs
A Wilde Recipe

The graham cracker recipe can be found here.  I liked the Smitten Kitchen recipe and made no changes to it except that I cut the dough into 2-inch rounds.  Don't pierce the dough with a fork either, just stamp into rounds and bake!

1. Make your dough and chill it overnight.  Take half of the dough and roll it out to 1/8-inch thickness.  Stamp out 2-inch rounds.  Set the rounds on a baking sheet and chillin the freezer for 15 minutes. 


2. Bake at 350 F for 12-15 minutes. You want them done, but not crunchy crisp.  Allow them to cool completely.

3. Pipe a blob of marshmallow onto the cookies, about 1/4-inch from the edges.  The marshmallow will spread a little and you don't want it to jump off the cookie!

4. Let these set for at least four hours.


5. Melt 1-16-ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips with 2 tbsp shortening in a bowl over simmering water.  Remove the bowl from the heat and dip your cookies!  Drop one in...

6. Flip it over.  Take the chocolate-covered cookie out with a fork and tap off excess chocolate.  Let the cookies sit on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet.

7. When you run out of chocolate, drop the naked ones in sprinkles.  I actually liked these the best.  The lime flavor is very obvious!


Key Lime Marshmallows
Adapted from Marshmallows



This is the filling that you will use for the mallowpuffs, but you will also have lots of marshmallow batter leftover.  Grease a 9x9-inch pan with some cooking spray and gently wipe it out.  Pour the remaining batter into the pan and let it set for at least four hours.  Cut up and coat in a 3:1 mixture of powdered sugar and cornstarch.  We'll use these later in the month!

3 tbsp gelatin
3/4 cup key lime juice

1/2 cup water
1 1/4 cup invert syrup (buy it or make it!)
Pinch salt
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar

Mix gelatin and key lime juice and set aside to bloom.

In a medium pot, combine remaining ingredients and stir to moisten the sugar.  Bring to a boil over medium heat and put the lid on for two minutes (this will help wash sugar crystals from the side of the pot).  Clip on your candy thermometer and cook until you reach 240. 

Remove thermometer and add in gelatin bloom.  Stir gently to mix, the sugar will foam up.  Transfer the marshmallow batter to your stand mixer (or a large bowl).  Whip (gradually increasing to high speed) for 12 minutes.  Allow this to sit for five minutes and transfer to a piping bag with a large circular tip.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails