Image Map

Monday, March 26, 2012

Fish (or Chicken) and Mango Salsa & Honey-roasted Parsnips

This past weekend was a sweet one.  In preparation for April 2012 (the month I have declared "Candy Month!) I spent a lot of time in the kitchen.  Some successes, some failures, a whole lot of sugar, chocolate and spices.

Since I spent the majority of my time working with sugar, I wanted something quick to eat for dinner.  It was then that I remembered that I had not yet taste tested my Mrs. Paul's Parchment Bakes!  I was very excited about being selected as a tastemaker for the particular product because I am terrible when it comes to making fish.  Go ahead and have a look in my recipe archive, you will find zero recipes that include fish.


I always have the same problems when it comes to cooking fish.  First, the house always smells like fish for days!  No matter how fresh the fish is, it always leaves its scent behind.  Second, I generally overcook it.  I haven't quite gotten the skills to determine when a fish fillet is done.  Finally, I never know what to pair it with.  Since I don't cook fish a lot, I never know what kind of sauce to pair with it.  I've made some bad decisions in the past!

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Mrs. Pauls took care of all of my complaints!  I went with the classic grilled tilapia since I wanted to add a mango salsa to the fish.  It went in the oven (in its own little parchment bag) and came out perfectly done.  The fish was flakey and moist.  The sauce was mild and paired well with the salsa.  The final bit of wonderful?  While the fish was flavorful and tasty, the house didn't smell like fish at all.  Mrs. Paul's, you've got yourself a winner here.


As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I received a sample of Mrs. Pauls Parchment Bakes.  All comments and opinions are my own.  If you want to give this product a try, here is a coupon for buy one, get one!  (Good through March 30)
 



One Year Ago: Filled Meringue Coffee Cake

Fish (or Chicken) and Mango Salsa
Adapted from The Cooking Light Cookbook

While I really enjoy eating fish, someone else in my house won't touch any sort of fish.  So, while I baked the fish in the oven, I grilled up a chicken breast for the picky eater.  The mango salsa paired wonderfully with both proteins.  If you are short on time, pick up one of these pre-parchment wrapped fish fillets.  If you have the time (and the talent required to cook fish) cook up your favorite fillet of white fish.  My only complaint about the parchment bake fish?  It's so tiny!  I shouldn't complain, because I believe that it is a proper serving size of fish.

2 tilapia fish fillets or 1/2 lb chicken breast

2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 mango, chopped
1/2 cup white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp cider vinegar
juice from 1 lime
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp black pepper

Drizzle protein with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Grill until done.  (Or bake parchment bake according to manufacturers instructions)

Combine remaining ingredients and toss to combine.

Serve protein with a healthy dose of salsa.

Honey-Roasted Parsnips
Adapted from The Vegetarian Times Cookbook

4 large parsnips, peeled & chopped
2 pink lady apples, peeled & chopped
2 tbsp honey
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Combine chopped parsnips and apples in a shallow baking dish drizzle with olive oil and honey, sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Toss with your hands and spread to an even layer.

Place baking dish in the oven and roast for 20-22 minutes, stirring once through the baking time.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails