Image Map

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes

Are you like me?  Can you have breakfast for any meal of the day?  Omelets for dinner.  Bagels for lunch.  Pancakes for a late night snack.  Breakfast, the best meal of the day.  Well, almost.  I don't really like eggs for breakfast.  Eggs - fried, scrambled or over-easy - are dinner fare.


I decided that this week, rather than making pancakes for dinner, I would make a true breakfast for dessert.  Cinnamon roll cupcakes!


A simple vanilla cake, with layers of cinnamon-brown sugar, topped with a layer of cream cheese frosting.  These little treats tasted just like the breakfast buns I can't keep my hands off.  Whenever I make a batch (or can if I'm in a hurry and have a big craving) of cinnamon rolls, I always have at least two.  I know they are about a million calories each, I can't help myself.


These cupcakes were just what I wanted and I was totally satisfied with just one.

One Year Ago: Cream of Asparagus Soup

Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens - Cupcakes

These cupcakes really taste like the breakfast treat!  Even though I could stop myself at just one cupcake, I knew that I couldn't have them in the house.  I sent these to work with boyfriend and he fed them to his coworkers, for breakfast!  This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.  The cream cheese frosting actually made a large batch and I had a whole lot leftover.  Cut the recipe in half if you don't want to be eating it with a spoon for the rest of the week!

1/3 cup butter
1 egg
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp brown sugar, packed
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp milk

Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.  Preheat oven to 350 F.

Bring butter and eggs to room temperature.  In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.  In another bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.

In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy.  Add sugar and beat until combined.  Add egg and vanilla.  Add flour in three portions, alternating with milk (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour).

Add 1 tbsp batter to the paper liners.  Add 1 tsp cinnamon mixture to the cups.  Add remaining batter to the muffin cups (about 2 tbsp each).  Sprinkle the tops with the remaining cinnamon mixture.

Bake cupcakes for 20-22 minutes  (or until a toothpick comes out with just crumbs clinging).  Let cool on a wire rack for ten minutes then remove from the baking pan.  Allow to cool to room temperature before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz Cream Cheese
1/2 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
5 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Allow cream cheese and butter to come to room temperature.  Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy.  Turn mixer down to low and add powdered sugar, a 1/2 cup at a time, until frosting is fluffy and spreadable.  Once all of the powdered sugar is added, turn mixer to high and beat until airy and combined.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails