Image Map

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Chicken Stuffed with Peppered Goat Cheese

Since I just celebrated my one year anniversary at work, I thought I would take a minute to reveal...

My top ten favorite things about working in industry!

(for those of you who haven't taken the long road through grad school to your job, working in industry means working in the public sector, rather than in academia or for the government!)


1. The first time I heard "Your time is too valuable to spend it doing X.". When I heard this I just about fell over. No longer would I have to do menial tasks to save a buck. No more cutting TLC plates, no more pulling spotters, no more making Dess-Martin! (all very time consuming things that are terribly boring)

2. Paid time off. And you're urged to take your time off so that you don't lose it at the end of the year! Three weeks where you don't want me to come in? Deal!

3. Bagel day. What? Your company doesn't have bagel day every Thursday? Mine does and it's awesome!

4. Dressing up. Gone are the days of wearing the standard t-shirt and jeans to the lab everyday. Now I get to wear button down shirts, pressed pants and nice shoes. Sure, I could wear jeans to work, but when I dress nicely people don't ask why I look so nice.

5. Work hours. What does your standard grad student work week look like? Usually between 60-80 hours a week, depending on your advisor. Never again.

6. Coworkers that care! In grad school you want to work hard and get out. There is competition, gossiping and sometimes back-stabbing. In industry, teams work toward a common goal, the whole "we all succeed together" motto goes here.

7. Free lunch. That's right grad students of the world, there are
Lots of free lunches in industry. Usually they are associated with lunchtime meetings, but not everything can be great!

8. Mr Softee Wednesdays. Yup, you read that right. The ice cream man comes to my office on Wednesday during the summer and gives us I've cream. For free.

9. Robots. Robots to do work for me, save me time and make my life better. I'm going to name them all this coming year. That way I can say "Hi Bert! Ready to run that purification for me today?"

10. All of the learning I still get to do on a daily basis. Pharma is an ever evolving industry and you've got to keep on your toes to stay in the game!


It seems that three of my favorite things involve food... Well, here's a recipe for the food you saw throughout the post, we'll keep up the theme!

One Year Ago: Honey-Basil Chicken

Stuffed Chicken
Adapted from Everyday Food

Here we are with another quick and easy dinner!  You want dinner to be ready in less than 30 minutes, jot this one down.  Along with the stuffed chicken breasts, I served some asparagus spears drizzled with balsamic vinegar and a spinach salad.  I took a risk making this for dinner, because of the goat cheese, but it was well recieved by everyone!  Which is good, because goat cheese is delicious and I want to put it on everything.

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 ounces goat cheese
3 tbsp chopped pepperoncini
1 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425 F.  In a bowl, stir goat cheese until smooth.  Add pepperoncini and sage, stir.  Using a paring knife, cut a large pocket in each chicken breast.  Spoon 1-2 tbsp into each pocket.

Heat a large, oven-proof skillet, over medium heat.  Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes.  Flip chicken over and put the entire skillet in the oven.  Cook for 15-18 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.  Remove from the oven and let chicken rest for 3 minutes.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails