Image Map

Friday, July 27, 2012

Why Bother? 2012 - Tortillas

Okay.  Confession time.  I do not like corn tortillas.  There, I said it.  I don't really like going out to "authentic" Mexican restaurants because they always serve tacos on corn tortillas.  It's a combination of the texture, flavor and the fact that they fall apart so easily.  My taco fillings always wind up on the plate (or my lap).

When I was confronted with the tortilla challenge, I asked myself  - Should I really bother making corn tortillas?  I'm not going to eat them.  I've eaten in some pretty good Mexican restaurants in the city and I don't even like their tortillas.  I would also never buy them from the store to begin with.


With these thoughts running through my head I decided against making corn tortillas.  I did do a little corn tortilla research and they seem pretty easy to make.  Mix some masa harina with water and press balls of dough flat.  Grill the flattened dough on a skillet for a minute each side.  Ta da?  Gross corn tortillas.  Sorry, I mean corn tortillas.  To each their own.

I am a flour tortilla girl all the way!  And I really enjoyed making these this week.  The total amount of time I spent on the recipe was an hour.  Those sixty minutes include all the required resting time for the dough, shaping and grilling!  You can have a Mexican party on the table in no time flat.

These homemade tortillas were a blast to make.  Once I got the right consistency of the dough, somewhere between a still ball of play-doh and a sticky blob of oatmeal, rolling and grilling the tortillas was like making little pizzas.  I went with a recipe that included a mixture of all-purpose and whole wheat flour, pretending that they would be healthier (as I planned on filling them with melted cheese, any level of healthfulness would be good!).


Compared to store bought, my homemade circles were flavorful, airy and flexible.  I used the tortillas for dinner, the same night that I made them.  I had another quesadilla a few days later and it was still pretty delicious!  If you have time, get in the kitchen and make tortillas yourself.  Think of the possibilities of making your own!  The different flour options, adding different herbs and spices and the different tortilla sizes you can make in your own kitchen.  I know I have a few ideas that I want to try out next time!  Stay tuned for more Mexican nights!

One Year Ago: Sun-dried Tomato Pasta

Flour Tortillas
Adapted from D.I.Y. Delicious

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp butter, room temperature
3/4 cup warm water

In a large bowl, whisk together flours, salt and baking powder.  Add vegetable oil and butter.  Using your hands, rub the oils into the flour with your fingers.  The oils should be spread evenly through the flour mixture and the flour should be slightly crumbly.  Add water, 1/4 cup at a time.  Knead in the bowl with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together.  It should be tacky and soft, but not sticky.  Cover bowl with a damp towel and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.

Divide dough into 12-2 ounce balls.  Let the dough balls rest for 10 minutes. 

Heat a flat skillet over medium-high heat.  Lightly flour a work surface and rolling pin.  Take a dough ball and press it flat with the palms of your hands.  Using the rolling pin, roll out dough to an 8-inch circle (or circle-like shape, mine were a little oblong).  Transfer dough to the skillet and grill for 1 minute on each side. 

Use immediately for super fresh tortillas.  Keep in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for 2 months.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails