Image Map

Friday, April 3, 2015

Chocolate Peep Cakes

We're just a few days before Easter and I really wanted to use that Peep mold again! I decided to try out a few more recipes to see just what would work. Also, I wanted everything to be peep shaped after I made those peeps last week!

Today I present... Chocolate Peep Cakes!!!


Aren't they cute!


The chocolate cake recipe that I used was a simple one. In fact I wasn't really impressed with the one I chose, so I won't be sharing the cake recipe today. You could probably even use a store bought cake mix., if you are low on time! What makes these cakes come together even faster is the frosting.


These cakes are very similar to petit fours because I used a poured fondant frosting. It took two layers of frosting to completely cover the chocolate, but it retained all the details of the peep cakes! The addition of some sprinkles and black sugar pearls and we have ourselves some cute little cakes!


They are the perfect treat to finish off your Easter holiday! These cakes were also very fun to make, I think I'll try my hand at real petit fours in the future.

Two Years Ago: Perry's Ice Cream Factory Tour
Three Years Ago: Grilled Chicken and Potatoes
Four Years Ago: Tortellini Soup



Poured Fondant Frosting
From Frostings

2 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons hot water
3 tablespoons light corn syrup (as opposed to dark)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup white chocolate chips (use good quality)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
White food coloring (optional)

Sifted powdered sugar into a metal mixing bowl. Add hot water, corn syrup and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.

Melt white chocolate chips with vegetable oil in the top of a double boiler. Pour sugar mixture into the melted chocolate, stir until smooth. Add white food coloring until bright white. This will help cover the chocolate color.

Keep fondant in the double boiler, but remove the pot from the stove top. The fondant will set upon cooling, it is easiest to work with the fondant when it is between 100-110 °F.

Set cakes on a wire rack over a silpat. Pour fondant frosting over the peep cakes. Move wire rack to another silpat. Scrape excess fondant frosting back into the pot.  (I had to do four cakes at a time, in order to keep the fondant from spilling out everywhere.)

Allow the first layer of fondant frosting to set. You can speed this up by popping them in the fridge.  Add a second layer of fondant frosting. Allow them to set for 5 minutes at room temperature. Sprinkle with colors sanding sugars and add black sugar pearls for eyes.  Pop in the fridge to set.



Aren't they so cute!


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Leave them here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails